Spire FM spoke to Laura Holm of Anderson Moores Veterinary Specialists in Hampshire. Laura said that unanswered questions about cutaneous & renal glomerular vasculopathy (CRGV) / Alabama Rot research include:-
- What is the cause(s) of CRGV?
- Is there something acting as a ‘trigger’ which we could either avoid dogs getting exposed to, or (for example) develop a vaccine against?
- Can we develop tests to confirm CRGV diagnosis in live dogs? (currently cases can only be confirmed by examining kidney tissue under the microscope in the lab after the dog has died).
- Which dogs will get skin lesions but not kidney failure?
- Which dogs are at risk for developing kidney failure?
- What are the most appropriate treatment options for dogs that could develop kidney disease?