First some definitions. Epidemiology is defined by Oxford Dictionaries as “the branch of medicine which deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health”. It is also the study of the causation of epidemic diseases according to Wikipedia. And CRGV is the scientific name for Alabama Rot.
This week the Alabama Rot Research Fund (ARRF) have reported funding an Alabama Rot / CRGV Epidemiology project by Dr Kim Stevens:
“Thanks to your support and generosity, ARRF, in conjunction with NFDog (New Forest dog owners group) have been able to jointly fund an Epidemiology Project to be carried out by Dr Kim Stevens.
Kim Stevens is a Lecturer in the Veterinary Epidemiology, Economics and Public Health group at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC). She will be conducting the research in a freelance capacity. View her bio here.” (1)
The project has three main objectives:
“Using data provided by Anderson Moores Veterinary Specialists the research aims to:
1. Identify possible risk factors for CRGV including age, breed and sex whilst also assessing possible climatic risk factors
2. Investigate the spatial epidemiology of the disease to identify apparent clusters of cases in certain areas
3. Developing and launching a new questionnaire that will allow improved data collection
We would hope to be able to provide an update on the findings of this exciting research towards the end of this year.” (2)
AlabamaRot.co.uk report that the value of the fund to Kim Stevens was £16,000 split 50:50 between ARRF and NFDog.
Maybe especially relevant is that Kim Stevens has a PhD in spatial epidemiology:
“focusing on spatial and ecological niche modelling methods and their use as risk-based decision-making tools for informing disease control and surveillance efforts.” (3)
AlabamaRot.co.uk believes this research will complement the March 2015 research by Laura Holm and others. (4) But to fully identify the cause of Alabama Rot and its prevention in dogs much more research will be needed.
(1) Facebook posted 4th October 2017 (accessed 7th October 2017)
(2) ARRF news dated 22nd September 2017 (accessed 7th October 2017)
(3) Kim Stevens biography (accessed 7th October 2017)
(4) Holm, L.P., Hawkins, I., Robin, C., Newton, R.J., Jepson, R., Stanzani, G., McMahon, L.A., Pesavento, P., Carr, T., Cogan, T., Couto, C.G., Cianciolo, R. and Walker, D.J. (2015) ‘Cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy as a cause of acute kidney injury in dogs in the UK’, Veterinary Record, 23rd March 2015, pp. 1-12. http://alabamarot.co.uk/peer-reviewed-crgv-research-by-david-walker-et-al/